How to hire editorial designers
Editorial designers can help you design the layout, typography, and art direction of both digital and print media assets.
So how do you hire editorial designers? What follows are some tips for finding top editorial designers on Upwork.
How to shortlist editorial design professionals
As you’re browsing available editorial design consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an editorial designer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., designing magazine cover art and illustrations with Adobe Illustrator).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular editorial designer.
How to write an effective editorial design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal editorial designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective editorial design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From editorial illustrations to art direction, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to give your publications a unique look and feel your readers will remember? Log in and post your editorial design job on Upwork today.
EDITORIAL DESIGNERS FAQ
What is editorial design?
Editorial design is the practice of designing the overall look and feel of publications such as newspapers, magazines, and journals. Editorial design elements include layout, typography, color scheme, structure, and art.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in editorial design professionals:
- Editorial design
- Graphic design
- Desktop publishing
- Design tools (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
Why do you want to hire editorial designers?
The trick to finding top editorial designers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find someone to design cover art and editorial illustrations for your print magazine? Or do you need help overseeing the layout and art direction of an ebook? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an editorial designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced editorial designer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their editorial design services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.