You will be responsible for the security and stability of a cluster of Amazon EC2-hosted Debian Wheezy virtual servers, running a variety of services (Percona/MySQL, PHP web applications, message queues, Varnish caches, etc). You will be responsible for provisioning new servers when required, managing and testing backups, security status and software updates, etc. You will also be managing disk images and working with a programmer for automatic elastic scaling of at least one internal system.
This is an immediate and on-going contractor position at SBAT Ltd reporting to the Technical Director.
Initial tasks could include
* Audit existing servers (approx 5) for security/performance/improvements
* Setting up backups and testing them
* Talk to project stakeholders to identify needs and desires
* Configuring Amazon CloudWatch (or monit/munin) with alerts
* Configuring an external monitoring system for public-facing systems (Pingdom?)
* Provisioning new servers as-and-when
* Provisioning development/test servers/clusters for developers as-and-when
Ongoing tasks could include
* Security and monitoring checks
* Backup checks
* Scaling the cluster to meet public demand
* Scaling the cluster to meet data processing demand
* … feedback from you needed here too!
We are a football/soccer data company providing statistics and news for sportsbook betting. The majority of systems in the cluster are in place to support our primary website and mobile app. Spin-off web and mobile app projects are managed in-house and pull sports data from the cluster.
The cluster is almost ready to go. We have identified some bottlenecks and problems with the architecture, and are now hiring several new technicians to re-architect and tweak areas of the cluster ready to release a new website version.
In the future we need to maintain this cluster while scaling to serve increased visitors, as well as add systems to manage data from other sports (cricket, darts, boxing, motorsport, etc).
We need motivated individuals who love what they do and are competent and confident in their abilities. You will be working alongside other contractors and an in-house project manager to achieve these goals. Good written English skills is essential, with a desire to communicate often. This is a complex project with many variables and many team members.
JIRA is used for project management and Slack is used for communication.
Required skills and experience
* Linux server administration and security, particularly Debian or similar
* AWS EC2, security groups, IAM users, policies
* Disk imaging, spinning up new servers from images
* Web server administration (nginx configuration, PHP-FPM configuration, Percona/MySQL basics)
* Advanced web server administration (Varnish, Symfony application requirements)
* Installing and basic testing of devops tools (git, composer, bower, grunt/gulp, etc)