We work with unstructured text in the domain of product data.
3 of us have recently started to learn Python with the intent of using its scikit-learn module to apply machine learning algorithms (Logistic Regression, SVM, Decision Trees, etc.)
We are very confident of our ability to master Python but we think a Machine Learning Expert/Consultant could help us deal with 2 potential impediments:
1. Taking our nascent ideas for applying machine learning to a fully-fleshed out statement of how machine learning should be applied, preferably with the specified approaches to take in Python.
2. Once you understand our business needs, conceiving of applications of machine learning that we have not thought of ourselves.
1. Location: North America preferred, Europe fine, rest of world OK
2. Availability. Regardless of location, you must be available for up to 5 hours per week for conversations during 9 am to 5 pm Eastern Standard Time. Other work you do for us can be done at times you choose
3. English. Excellent fluency is mandatory because much of initial engagement will be spent with us explaining our needs + ideas to you
4. Professionalism. As we will be investing our time in you - the opportunity cost of which will be far greater than what we are paying you - we must have confidence not only in your technical abilities but also in your professionalism and all that this term implies
5. Curiousity. We find what we do fascinating and think that the machine learning applications that we will use will be extremely interesting. So we want someone who really enjoys/loves applying machine learning to new fields and is not just in it for the $
6. Hourly Rate. Of course, $ rate is important for both of us.
- Our primary concern is to find someone who can very quickly assimilate our ideas and issues and give us guidance. If we have a choice of (e.g.) 2 people, with one 2x the rate of the other but likely 4x as effective, then we will (in the short term) choose the more expensive contractor. So we are interested in applications from anyone regardless of rate (that isn’t license to ask for anything :), bear in mind your competitors!)
- In the longer term, as we gain expertise and the people/person we hire become(s) familiar with our situation, it's going to be much much easier to quickly structure well-defined applications of machine learning. We think we will have an ongoing need for expertise so affordability will become a key issue.
GUIDANCE ON YOUR APPLICATION & COVER LETTER
1. When you apply, please put MACHINELEARN at the top of your cover letter. This is our test to see whether you have read our job post in full and helps us weed out "robo-responses."
2. Please do not copy/paste your profile into your cover letter - this hides the significance of anything specific you write and weakens your application. By all means though, you should highlight the significance and relevance of your profile to our specific job.
3. Please use a portion of your cover letter to explain how you meet our 6 requirements.
4. Whatever rate you choose to quote, make sure it is consistent with your job history on UpWork. For example, if your last jobs have been at $X per hour and you quote us $1.5X per hour, our perception of your seriousness will be lessened. If you feel a significant jump in your rate is justified, please explain.
* * * *
I look forward to getting your applications.