Check out a sample of the 1,551 Data Analyst jobs posted on Upwork
Using google collab / PYSPARK Task 1: interpreted data using data frame through 3 statistical analytical methods (advanced descriptiv…
Less than 30 hrs/week
1 to 3 months
We will deliver a detailed brief on request We will deliver a detailed brief on request
More than 6 months
The Workforce Analyst will analyze, review, and produce schedules and forecast data for operational and business planning. The Workforc…
Less than 30 hrs/week
More than 6 months
We are looking for an experienced person in GA4 to join our team part-time. Please contact us if this is relevant to you.
Less than 30 hrs/week
Less than 1 month
The project, for an upcoming job interview: I need someone to walk me through an actual example of multiproduct trend analysis in Looke…
I need a Data Cleansing Analyst to work with me. -Drive and code solutions using creative solution -Work through complex business prac…
Who Are Eligible: 1) Candidate with good coding skills in (Python, Machine Learning, SQL, Tableau) 2) Working professional who love t…
Develop and automate a series of reports using a set of excel files as source data
How to Become a Freelance Data Analyst
The ability to use data analytics to make better business decisions is a valuable skill that’s in high demand. Freelance data analysts are capable of working with large volumes of data, processing it in its raw format, analyzing it, and arriving at certain conclusions for the purpose of organizational planning and problem-solving.
If you enjoy working with large volumes of data to glean insights designed to help client organizations with their decision-making, you might have what it takes to be a freelance data analyst on Upwork.
What does a freelance data analyst do?
Freelance data analysts work with client organizations by taking large volumes of data, cleaning it, interpreting it, and presenting it in order to answer a particular question or provide a solution to a problem. Data engineers typically work with computer software and programming languages like python to process data and deliver key insights to business analysts.
Data engineers also have a number of tools at their disposal, including SQL consoles, data modeling tools, statistical analysis tools, and business intelligence platforms. A number of business intelligence platforms, such as Tableau and Microsoft Power BI, enable freelance data analysts to deliver critical data and information in a way that is visually stunning and easily understood.
What skills do I need to become a freelance data analyst?
Clients hire freelance data analysts for their unique set of skills. When you’re on a freelance data analyst career path, no two clients or projects will be alike, but there are some common data analyst skills that clients look for in a data analyst role.
A data analyst job description will likely have some of these core traits:
- Critical thinking skills. While freelance data analysts use the latest technology and software to glean helpful information from complex data, meaningful insights and solutions would not be possible without first possessing critical thinking skills.
- Data visualization skills. Data visualization allows freelancers to present complex information with shapes, sizes, colors, and text, allowing clients to grasp information quickly and make key decisions without delay.
- Programming capability. While freelance data analysts aren’t required to be hard-core computer programmers, having familiarity with certain programming languages and being able to handle a straightforward programming fix is an invaluable skill to have.
- Familiarity with SQL. Large volumes of data sets and database work go hand-in-hand. By knowing their way around an SQL database, freelance data analysts can maximize their value, creating client solutions that handle large volumes of data efficiently and through easy-to-use desktop database tools.
- Problem-solving skills. Data analysis and problem-solving are virtually interchangeable. Freelancers that excel in problem-solving always find solutions to their client’s most pressing dilemmas. Whether through an SQL database or an interactive dashboard, data analysts can use their problem-solving skills to find answers to the toughest client questions.
- Project management skills. Whether building an SQL database or processing data through a business intelligence tool, project management skills are an essential capability for competitive freelance data analysts. Successfully shepherding a project from market research to product development will help you be that much more desirable to future clients.
- Attention to detail. When dealing with data, one wrong number can invalidate all conclusions and recommendations from a data set. It’s incumbent upon the freelance data engineers to make sure they pay attention to things like types of data and data sources to make sure the insights they’re gleaming are correct.
What are the core freelance data analyst job responsibilities?
While analyzing data and presenting findings are perhaps the most important responsibilities, there are other tasks data analysts take on when hired for various projects.
The core responsibilities freelance data analysts typically handle during an engagement include the following:
- Collect and analyze customer data to determine product and services preferences
- Oversee deployments regarding new processes and data fields for production
- Develop and manage all data visualization presentations for executive updates
- Technical skills to establish and maintain standardizations around data processing, analysis, and solution coding
- Ensure data accuracy used for reports and presentations
- Manage automated backup of all data housed across multiple database systems and engines.
- Collaborate with team members and other data scientists within the research department as well as stakeholders across the organization.
Should I get a degree or certification to become a freelance data analyst?
In addition to developing your skills via employer or client work, it is essential to obtain a degree and/or professional certification to help your Upwork profile stand out and ensure you have the most essential data analyst skills.
Some examples of popular freelance data analyst degrees or certifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in data science, mathematics, finance, statistics, computer science, economics, psychology, management information systems, or an equivalent in a related field of study from an accredited college or university
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences—offered by Columbia University Data Science Institute
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Scientist Associate—offered by Microsoft
Jumpstart your freelance data analyst career on Upwork and start looking for your first job. Eager to learn more about freelance data analyst jobs on Upwork? Check out these additional resources:
Upwork is not affiliated with and does not sponsor or endorse any of the tools or services discussed in this section. These tools and services are provided only as potential options, and each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyze and determine the tools or services that would best fit their specific needs and situation.
Your next job starts right here
Set up a free profile to showcase your skills, experience, and desired pay rate to clients. You choose the payment method that's best for you to easily get paid for your work.Find Work
Gives you security and peace of mind