What is a pixel art freelancer?
A form of digital art, pixel art is created by using software to form and edit images at the pixel level. Similar to very low definition imagery, pixel art can be created by pixel art freelancers who replicate images that are typically associated with older 8-bit and 16-bit computers and video game consoles.
How do you hire a pixel art freelancer?
You can source pixel art freelancer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a pixel art freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview pixel art freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of pixel art freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a pixel art freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced pixel art freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their pixel art freelancer services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a pixel art freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample pixel art freelancer job post titles:
- Need an artist adept at pixel art
- Creating a vintage style video game and need artists who can create pixel art
- Pixel artist needed to help create prints for sale
An effective pixel art freelancer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From creating images in Adobe Illustrator to incorporating old style video game art, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or platforms, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Pixel art freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of pixel art freelancer job responsibilities:
- Use Adobe Photoshop to convert existing art to pixel art
- Create familiar pixel artwork featuring vintage computer game characters
- Create new video game featuring pixel art characters
Pixel art freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in pixel art freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Experience playing vintage 8-bit and 16-bit video games
- Ability to use Adobe Photoshop to convert any image into pixel art
- Portfolio of various vintage art styles, including pixel art