How to hire policy writers
Written policies bring consistency to businesses and organizations. Policy writers can create clear and concise documentation for all your policy needs.
So how do you hire policy writers? What follows are some tips for finding top policy writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist policy writing professionals
As you’re browsing available policy writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a policy writer who understands your industry so they can write documentation that is appropriate for your needs.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., drafting onboarding procedures).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular policy writer.
How to write an effective policy writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal policy writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective policy writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From editing existing policies to writing new procedures, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or writing styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to reduce the administrative overhead of writing your own policies? Log in and post your policy writing job on Upwork today.
POLICY WRITERS FAQ
What is policy writing?
Policy writing is the practice of writing formal principles, rules, or guidelines for making decisions or performing activities within an organization.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in policy writing professionals:
- Policy writing
- Legal writing
- Technical writing
- Editing and proofreading
- Use-case-specific expertise (e.g., human resources management)
Why hire policy writers?
The trick to finding top policy writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to draft a formal quality assurance (QA) procedure for a particular process step on the assembly line? Or do you need help writing employee guidelines for work travel? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a policy writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced policy writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their policy writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.