Check out a sample of the 511 Fashion Design jobs posted on Upwork
Less than 30 hrs/week
More than 6 months
Happy Holidays! We're Corecircle - a social fitness app with 300k+ users. We're soon expanding into fitness apparel and are looking for…
I need someone who has experience in creating art work for rash guards and Gis. Work in Teck packs to be used for fashion production an…
Less than 30 hrs/week
1 to 3 months
I have an idea that I'm really excited about but I don't have the skills to bring it alive by myself. Looking to hire someone who can…
Hours to be determined
3 to 6 months
We need a professional, pattern sew maker and grading for long-term cooperation Our products are special occasion and casual apparel.…
Looking for a product designer with experience in lingerie and leather industry. We need leather products such as garthers, belts, chok…
Require 15 creative and unique designs for t shirts. with use of different print techniques like dtf, puff, vinyl, rubber, UV.
I am the owner of Katherine Way, a women's apparel company based in Fenwick Island, DE. We manufacture and sell apparel and accessories…
Hello, I need a fashion designer to design and create/sew merch for a beauty brand that will be used in a brand campaign photoshoot. I…
We are Wintex Exports and have started producing Sports bags for team sports as well as individual sports . We would like to hire someo…
This role reports directly to the creative director and founder of the brand. It's a very hands on role where you can learn from the gr…
How to Become a Freelance Fashion Designer
Fashion designers provide technical, practical, and aesthetic expertise required to make dresses, suits, and a host of other clothing for men, women, and children. If you have what it takes to develop individual pieces or a complete clothing line for a variety of clientele, you might have what it takes to be a freelance fashion designer on Upwork.
What does a freelance fashion designer do?
A freelance fashion designer works with clients on short- or long-term projects where they design and assist with the production of shoes, clothing, and accessories. In addition, they may be asked to identify trends, choose specific styles, and work with certain fabrics. If the freelance fashion designer is asked to design or contribute to the creation of a collection, additional work will include choosing colors, prints, and trims.
When it comes to fashion, designers are often tasked with creating designs in two general categories: ready-to-wear and haute couture (high fashion). Ready-to-wear designs are usually created by one or more designers, produced by a team of tailors and sewers, and made available to the general public. Haute couture, on the other hand, are one-of-a-kind, custom-fitted designs.
What skills do I need to become a freelance fashion designer?
Those interested in becoming fashion designers must have a variety of skills that enable creativity and individuality. Similar to graphic designers, architects, artists, and other creatives, fashion designers must be able to develop ideas and concepts from scratch, drawing inspiration from nature, architecture, and art, among other areas.
In the fashion industry, there’s a wide range of niche skills and experiences that make a designer more in-demand. These might be something conventional, such as a formal education from a prestigious fashion school. They might also be something less tangible, such as a proven ability to anticipate fashion trends or a deep understanding of the business side of fashion. As a designer, it’s good to consider narrowing down your own fashion area of expertise. Experience in computer-aided design, draping, and social media are other specialties that interest design firms.
There are, however, general skills that every freelance fashion designer should have, including:
- Artistic ability. Possessing natural talent is a core requirement for anyone interested in becoming a fashion designer. Your designs should be considered art. As such, they should be distinguishable and recognizable. In most cases, the artistic ability cannot be taught; you either have it or you don’t. The key to becoming a successful freelance fashion designer is leveraging the artistic ability you do have to maximize a career in fashion.
- Good business sense. Like other freelancers, fashion designers must be willing to promote their skills and take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Cultivating relationships, developing a strong brand, and working diligently to ensure clients not only return but also recommend you to others are all hallmarks of good business sense. Freelance fashion designers must understand that the business side is just as important as the creative side.
- Excellent communication skills. When clients desire a particular look, it’s incumbent upon the freelance fashion designer to understand exactly what they want and to execute according to those requirements. Doing this requires excellent communication skills, with the designer articulating exactly what the client requires and receiving confirmation from the client that all parties are on the same page and moving in the same direction, so that the outcome aligns with the stated requirements. If any component of the process is not clearly understood, a designer with good communication skills will clarify with the client before continuing.
- Sense of style. Freelance fashion designers must possess the ability to create styles that are distinctive and stand out. A designer’s creation should exhibit an understanding of current styles in addition to providing a glimpse of what’s next. A particular fashion style should capture the imagination of a designer’s audience while setting them apart from other designers and collections.
- Excellent visualization skills. These skills will enable designers to draw inspiration from a number of sources while also articulating a particular design direction via paper or computer software. Freelance fashion designers should be able to see new creations in their minds and successfully transfer them to defined concepts on paper or on the screen.
- Comfort level using computers and software. While designing clothing lines using a pad and pencil was sufficient 75 years ago, the prominence of computer technology and 3D software has made fashion design a high-tech endeavor. While concepting specific designs on paper is still acceptable, fashion designers should also be able to transfer and convey those designs electronically via 3D modeling software.
- Strong sewing skills. While freelance fashion designers might not handle all the sewing requirements of a collection, they should possess the ability to create initial designs via the sewing machine. Designers should feel very comfortable with sewing, as it enables not only the creation of initial concepts but also allows them to convey specifically what’s needed to those who will handle the bulk of the sewing duties.
What are the core freelance fashion designer job responsibilities?
A freelance fashion designer may handle a wide variety of tasks on behalf of their clients. While every client and project is different, there are core responsibilities most freelance fashion designers will be required to handle, including:
- Oversee those involved in sketching and cutting patterns related to creating samples of completed clothing
- Review clothing samples on live models and make changes where needed
- Create both rough and finalized drawings of new concepts and design directions, and prepare for review by the executive fashion committee
- Collaborate with executive management and retail clients to create new fashion lines
- Review and select materials to be used for new fashion lines
- Review and provide input on production techniques
- Coordinate showings for clients and other stakeholders
- Confer regularly with the sales and marketing teams to identify opportunities and trends
- Develop accessories designed to work with new clothing lines
- Collaborate with marketing and photography during photo shoots
- Research newest trends, fabrics, and styles to remain current
Should I get a degree or certification to be a freelance fashion designer?
In addition to developing your skills and gaining experience from a number of clients or jobs, obtaining a degree and/or professional certification can help your Upwork profile stand out. While a bachelor’s degree is not required to become a freelance fashion designer, obtaining one can provide excellent exposure to the nuances of becoming a fashion designer as well as position you better to potential employers and clients.
Popular degrees or certifications for fashion design include:
- An associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s in fashion design, fashion merchandising, retail marketing, art, or an equivalent field of study
- Fashion Design Certification—offered by New Skills Academy
- Fashion Design Courses—offered by University of Fashion
Jump-start your freelance fashion designer career on Upwork and start looking for your first job. Eager to learn more about freelance fashion designer jobs on Upwork? Check out this additional resource:
Upwork is not affiliated with and does not sponsor or endorse any of the tools or services discussed in this section. These tools and services are provided only as potential options, and each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyze and determine the tools or services that would best fit their specific needs and situation.
Your next job starts right here
Set up a free profile to showcase your skills, experience, and desired pay rate to clients. You choose the payment method that's best for you to easily get paid for your work.Find Work
Gives you security and peace of mind