How to hire Android developers
Android is the world’s most popular mobile operating system (OS). Whether you’re trying to create an Android app from scratch, or port an existing iOS app to Android, an Android developer can help bring your mobile project to life.
So how do you find an Android developer? What follows are some tips for finding top Android developers on Upwork.
What is Android development?
Android developers use the Java programming language, the Android SDK, and other tools to develop apps for smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices running the Android OS.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Android development freelancers:
- Native app development through the Android SDK
- Solid grasp of UI/UX design fundamentals
- APIs such as REST and SOAP
- Version control systems such as Git
- Project management systems such as Jira
- Cross-platform mobile app development frameworks such as React Native
Android development consultants help businesses create powerful mobile apps that can compete in the Google Play Store.
How to shortlist Android development freelancers
As you’re browsing available Android development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Expertise. If your app requires expertise in GPU programming, game design, or accelerometer control, you’ll want to find a specialist.
- Past work. Good code is well documented, some developers showcase their past projects or provide presentations highlighting their achievements on their profiles.
- Feedback. If you’re wondering what it’s like to work with a particular Android developer, past reviews are a good place to look.
Why do you want to hire Android developers?
The trick to finding top Android developers is to identify your needs. Is this app intended to be used as a secure user account portal? Will the app need to incorporate any unique features, such as scanning documents and reading text? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective Android developer job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Android developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Android developer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From user chat rooms to user authentication list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your Android developer needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create an Android app that will help you reach your target market on their mobile devices? Log in and post your Android development job on Upwork today.