What is a chemical engineer?
A chemical engineer develops and designs chemical manufacturing processes, applying the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and math in order to solve problems related to the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food, and other products. Upwork offers access to capable chemical engineers adept at working in a variety of environments to resolve a host of challenges.
How do you hire a chemical engineer?
You can source chemical engineering talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a chemical engineer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview chemical engineers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of chemical engineer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a chemical engineer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced chemical engineer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their chemical engineer services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a chemical engineer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample chemical engineer job post titles:
- Need systems engineer to oversee chemical operation
- Looking for chemical engineer/chemist to assist in fragrance formulation for cosmetics company
- Need help developing new polymer for tennis racket line
An effective chemical engineer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From formulating fragrances to overseeing an entire chemical operation, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, products, or environments, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Chemical engineer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of chemical engineer job responsibilities:
- Manage ordering raw materials, chemicals, and supplies for applicable lab work areas
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and report technical data related to product development
- Oversee the set up and use of equipment required to prepare and evaluate synthetic minerals
Chemical engineer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a chemical engineer. Here are some examples:
- Minimum five years experience with heterogeneous chemical reaction
- Experience with relevant laboratory instrumentation
- Maintain clean, safe, and orderly work areas in compliance with industry standards