How to hire content producers
Content producers can turn your content strategy into a system for generating content that meets common marketing goals such as SEO, branding, or public relations (PR).
So how do you hire content producers? What follows are some tips for finding top content producers on Upwork.
How to shortlist content production professionals
As you’re browsing available content production consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a content producer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., producing a podcast).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular content producer.
How to write an effective content production job post
With a clear picture of your ideal content producer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective content production job post should include:
- Scope of work: From content calendars to editing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or types of content, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to streamline your content production processes? Log in and post your content production job on Upwork today.
CONTENT PRODUCERS FAQ
What is content production?
Content production is the process of producing blog posts, videos, infographics, and other media assets. Content producers are responsible for ensuring content meets strategic objectives and quality standards before publishing.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in content production professionals:
- Content production, marketing, and strategy
- Content creation skills (e.g., copywriting, graphic design, videography)
- Content specialities (e.g., podcasts, videos, blog posts)
Why do you want to hire content producers?
The trick to finding top content producers is to identify your needs. Do you need help creating a quarterly content calendar for the corporate blog? Or do you require someone with video production skills to help you manage a YouTube channel? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a content producer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced content producer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their content production services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.