What is a formulation freelancer?
A formulation freelancer is a technician who is capable of overseeing manufacturing tasks that produce high quality medical, industrial and consumer products, while also maintaining a clean and safe work environment. A formulation professional can be found on Upwork to work in a variety of environments, including industrial, government and consumer.
How do you hire a formulation freelancer?
You can source formulation freelancer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a formulation freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview formulation freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of formulation freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a formulation freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced formulation freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their formulation freelancing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a formulation freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample formulation freelancer job post titles:
- Chemist needed to develop a women’s cosmetics line
- In need of a biochemist to help me create a line of lotions
- Formulation expert wanted to provide guidance for smoke flavored meats
An effective formulation freelancer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From chemical blending to managing manufacturing quality, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or environments, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Formulation freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of formulation freelancer job responsibilities:
- Pull samples for the purpose of mixing and transferring components
- Observe critical parameters to ensure consistent laboratory operations
- Oversee all weighing, formulation, and filtration activities according to SOPs
Formulation freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a formulation freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Must have undergraduate degree in chemistry
- Minimum 5 years managing commercial lab in the cosmetics industry
- Ability to read and understand general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures
- Track record of meeting or exceeding production deadlines