What is a game designer?
Game design involves the design of video gameplay, including environmental development, art direction, character development, storyline writing, and other relevant responsibilities. Game designers on Upwork can help you tackle a variety of game development requirements by using software such as Minecraft, Unity 3D, Blender, Maya, and more.
How do you hire a game designer?
You can source game designer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a game designer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview game designers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of game designer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a game designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced game designer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their game designer services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a game designer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample game designer job post titles:
- Need to hire 2 game designers familiar with 3D landscapes
- Excellent game designer needed to clean up bugs in new game
- Looking for top notch programmer who can help develop 3D chess game
An effective game designer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From environmental design to game testing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain genres, software, or landscapes, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Game designer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of game designer job responsibilities:
- Participate in brainstorming sessions focused on plot outlines for world areas and storylines
- Lead overall testing process for game updates and content
- Write and code scripts, dialogue, item descriptions, and other requirements as necessary
Game designer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a Game designer. Here are some examples:
- Minimum of 3 years programming in Unity 3D
- Extensive experience working in the games industry as a lead designer
- Exhibit strong analytical skills as well as keen attention to detail