What is game development?
Game development is the process of creating video games. Game developers must not only know how to program but also understand the gameplay mechanics and creative vision needed to make games fun and engaging.
How do you hire a game developer?
You can source game development talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a game developer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview game developers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of game developer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a game developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced game developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their game development services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by game developers on Upwork are:
- Beginners: $25 per hour
- Intermediate: $39 per hour
- Advanced: $120 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a game developer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample game developer job post titles:
- Game developer needed with Unity and VR experience
- Building a mobile puzzle game for iOS and Android
- Seeking a game developer to develop an action-adventure RPG for PC
An effective game developer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From mobile card games to PC strategy games, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain game genres or tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Game developer responsibilities
Here are some examples of game developer job responsibilities:
- Develop game systems, models, and environments with desired game engine
- Translate game designs into video game elements and features
- Write clear, maintainable, and testable code
- Collaborate with artists, designers, and developers to create compelling video game content.
Game developer requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in game developers. Here are some examples:
- Game development
- Programming languages such as C++, C#, and Java
- Platform-specific software development expertise (e.g., C# with Unity for PC game development)
- 2D/3D modeling, rendering, and animation