HOW TO HIRE LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS
Maintaining IT infrastructure is a lot of work. A Linux system administrator can make backups, implement updates, and build Linux servers for your organization.
So how do you hire Linux system administrators? What follows are some tips for finding top Linux system administrators on Upwork.
What is Linux system administration?
Linux is an open-source operating system (OS) that’s easier to secure, update, and maintain than closed-source offerings such as Windows. Because Linux is the most popular OS for servers, Linux system administrators have access to a lot of developer resources.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Linux system administration freelancers:
- Linux system administration
- Linux distros (e.g., Ubuntu, Unix)
- IT automation
- Database technologies (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Systems languages (eg., C, C++, Golang)
- Back-end languages (e.g., Java, PHP)
- Application technology stacks such as LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
How to shortlist Linux system administration freelancers
As you’re browsing available Linux system administration consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a Linux system administrator who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., writing automation scripts with Ansible).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Linux system administrator.
Why do you want to hire Linux system administrators?
The trick to finding top Linux system administrators is to identify your needs. Are you switching from a cloud-based infrastructure to a physical IT infrastructure for the first time? Do you require an admin familiar with DevOps to implement continuous integration and a continuous delivery pipeline? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective Linux system administration job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Linux system administrator in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Linux system administration job post should include:
- Scope of work: From database migrations to building agentless architectures, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain server-side technologies or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to build, upgrade, and maintain your Linux-powered IT infrastructure? Log in and post your Linux system administration job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS
How much does it cost to hire a Linux system administrator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Linux system administrator may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Linux system administration services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a Linux system administrator to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a Linux system administrator, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track. Be prepared to budget more time for more-demanding sysadmin tasks. For example, setting up LAMP for a simple website will typically take less time than building a fully automated, DevOps-inspired back end for an enterprise app.
What are the steps involved to hire Linux system administrators?
Here’s how to hire Linux system administration consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s making regular backups or installing new server software.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., migrating your database from MySQL to NoSQL).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential Linux system administrators for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., managing application containers through Kubernetes).
- Interview Linux system administration talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.