How to hire top PR strategists
When you’re running a business, public perception is everything. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can forge relationships with the media and help build your brand, a public relations specialist can help.
So how do you hire public relations consultants? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top public relations freelancers on Upwork.
What is Public Relations?
Public relations (PR) is all about how your brand is perceived in the public eye. Everything from writing press releases to working with media outlets to cover company news falls under the purview of a PR professional. Top PR strategists can even run damage control in the wake of negative press.
A PR consultant can help build your brand by proactively cultivating your public image. Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in a PR consultant:
- PR collateral (e.g. press releases, quarterly updates, etc.)
- Writing (blog content and social media)
- Networking (e.g. media relations)
- Public outreach
- Clear communication
How to shortlist public relations freelancers
As you’re browsing available PR consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles for criteria such as:
- Industry fit. PR strategists need to understand the nuances of your industry in order to best represent your brand.
- Professionalism. You can glean their level of professionalism based on how they’re able to present themselves in their profile.
- Feedback. Past reviews can give you a glimpse into what it’s like to work with a particular PR freelancer.
Why do you want to hire PR consultants?
The key to finding top PR consultants is to get specific about your needs. Do you need PR to polish your social media posts and corporate blog? Will they also need public speaking skills to serve as the voice of your organization during an interview with the press? The cost of your project will largely depend on your scope of work and the specific skills you need to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective PR job post
Once you have a clear idea of what your ideal PR consultant looks like, it’s time to write that job post. The goal is to be detailed enough for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective PR job post should include:
- Scope of work: From responding to social media posts to fielding questions from the press, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your PR needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working in a specific industry, be sure to mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to take control of your assets and channels and maximize your marketing potential? Log in and post your PR job on Upwork today.