What is a social media consultant?
As more individuals use social media platforms for a variety of reasons, having content that is cohesive, comprehensible, and that accurately depicts the message that someone wants to get across is highly important. A social media consultant can guide their clients to ensure various forms of content are used effectively across any number of social media platforms to ensure their objectives are met.
How do you hire a social media consultant?
You can source a social media consultant talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a social media consultant.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview social media consultants. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of a social media consultant you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a social media consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced social media consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their social media consulting services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by a social media consultant on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $9 per hour
- Intermediate: $29 per hour
- Advanced: $97 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a social media consultant job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample a social media consultant job post titles:
- Person needed to advise our company on proper use of social media platforms
- Social media consultant needed to manage company’s Twitter account
- Writer needed to develop content for various social media platforms
An effective social media consultant job post should include:
- Scope of work: From recommending specific social media platforms to engaging with followers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, tools, or social media platforms, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Social media consultant job responsibilities
Here are some examples of a social media consultant job responsibilities:
- Review all company content to ensure it accurately aligns with company philosophy
- Make sure relevant website content can be posted on various social media accounts
- Assist beverage company in developing and implementing social media advertising campaign
Social media consultant job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a social media consultant. Here are some examples:
- At least 3 years managing company social media accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Must have proven track record developing social media posts that are socially conscious and inclusive
- Experience developing social media advertising campaigns for lead generation