What is a SolidWorks Freelancer?
SolidWorks, a modeling, computer-aided design, and computer-aided engineering application, primarily on Microsoft Windows. SolidWorks freelancers include engineers, manufacturers, and designers who use the software to transform product concepts—whether pencil sketches, imported images, or other data—into CAD drawings, models, and animations that can be used for product prototyping and production.
How do you hire a SolidWorks freelancer?
You can source SolidWorks freelancer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a SolidWorks freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview SolidWorks freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of SolidWorks freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a SolidWorks freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced SolidWorks freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their SolidWorks freelancing services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by SolidWorks freelancers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $19 per hour
- Intermediate: $41 per hour
- Advanced: $192 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a SolidWorks freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample SolidWorks freelancer job post titles:
- Mechanical engineer proficient in SolidWorks needed for sink bracket design
- Industrial designer to help small manufacturing company develop roofing concept
- Technical illustrator with SolidWorks experience wanted
An effective SolidWorks freelancers job post should include:
- Scope of work: From technical drawings to ability to train others in SolidWorks, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, environments, or styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
SolidWorks freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of SolidWorks freelancer job responsibilities:
- Provide detailed drawings of our new product features using SolidWorks
- Transfer all drawings from Adobe Illustrator to Solidworks
- Concept and prototype new machine parts using SolidWorks and 3D printer
SolidWorks freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a SolidWorks freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Must have 5 years experience using CAD software, including SolidWorks
- Portfolio that includes renderings created in SolidWorks
- Ability to train other team members in SolidWorks