We are planning to publish a concept picture books for children in the age group of 4-6 years. We require a creative and lateral thinking illustrator to create images for the story, cover design and layout for these books.
Project Details and Specifications:
1. Book length 32 pages excluding cover and end paper.
2. Book Format: Hardback
3. Inner book size is 9 inches x 9.50 inches with 0.25 inches bleed.
4. Cover size is 9.25 inches x 9.75 inches with 0.375 inches spine and 0.75 inches bleed.
5. Project Start Date: November 2016, earlier if possible
6. Project End Date: January 2017
7. Estimated Delivery Schedule: 60-90 days
8. Text: Draft available, final text is currently being worked upon.
9. Budget: US$ 800
We would be providing our specifications and feedback on the artwork and design but expect the illustrator to make significant creative contributions. We will not be providing any reference and expect unique artwork.
Depending upon the success of this project, we intend to enlist the freelancer's services for further work subject to the quality of their work in this project.
The freelancer should be able to think creatively and out-of-the-box, put forth fresh ideas and create the images within the specified scope of work. The freelancer should adhere to the following development lifecycle:
- Designer/Illustrator proposes the idea of the design/artwork.
- After the idea is approved, designer/illustrator creates a basic layout with all the proposed objects (or components) in the design/artwork. Publisher analyses the composition and gives feedback.
- After the layout is approved, designer/illustrator proceeds to create a wire frame with the objects sketched in their final state. Publisher analyses the shape, structure and geometry and gives feedback.
- After the wire frame is approved, designer/illustrator proceeds to finalise the design by completing all components like adding colour. Publisher suggests feedback and signs off.
The freelancer should have significant relevant experience in the development of children's books. The freelancer should be adept at using the necessary tools for illustrating and designing like Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Indesign. The freelancer should also be able to communicate in English his/her ideas and project updates well in both written and verbal form.
Successful project delivery and completion will go a long way in establishing a strong foundation for future collaborations with our organisation. We highly covet innovation, precision and organisation and are willing to offer good compensation for the same.
Name credits will be provided to the freelancer on the inner print line/copyrights page. Image copyrights will be transferred to the publisher.
What should yo do?
Interested illustrators and designers, please provide details of your relevant work experience along with your portfolio. Mention any examples from previous jobs that demonstrate the ability to think and work creatively. Subsequently we would share a sample text from the story and ask the illustrator to provide a sample artwork for evaluation. Final decision will be made on the basis of this evaluation.