Webster Pacific is looking to hire a Research Analyst trained in a combination of data science, data visualization, digital librarianship, research, and/or business data analysis. The main areas of responsibility for this position include cleaning, preparing, and testing data; ETL (extract, transform, load) work; building data visualizations; and information architecture / presentation. This position will throttle up and down with work volume and could run from 10-40 hours per week. The likely start for a candidate would mean working on a small project taking 10-40 hours, to be completed over 1-4 weeks. This would be followed by additional projects.
In our analytical endeavors we work closely with our clients to determine their exact data needs, both organizational and visual. Then, we research where data, public or private, is available to supplement our client's internal data. Finding this data, however, is only the beginning. After gathering required data sources, we use information architecture to design how the data will be presented and navigated for consumption by the client. Finally, we visualize answers using a combination of tables, charts, graphs, descriptive text, always being mindful of coloring, layout, words and other aesthetics, with all due deference to Tufte.
Our firm works at a fast pace with a variety of tools, but the process is careful and orderly. We are at the cutting edge of organizational and visualization methods and we spend significant time thinking through how to clearly present an answer as well as research it.
We currently use a variety of tools including Excel, Tableau, Relational Database Systems (SQL Server, FileMaker, etc.), ArcGIS, as well as written prose to reflect our careful research and conclusions. Candidates should already know or be willing to quickly learn any and all of these tools.
Specifically, job duties will fall in a few areas:
• Cleaning, validating, organizing, and otherwise processing a variety of data sets
• Build reports, analyze and present data in Excel
• Learn the data within and work with Filemaker / Relational databases
• Create and maintain visualizations in Tableau
• Research road types, road networks, assist with mapping tasks using ArcGIS
• Other work as capacity and aptitudes allow
Webster Pacific is a strategic, business intelligence, and financial consulting firm, serving clients in a variety of industries including charter schools, private schools, high-end late night events, forest products, farming, specialty foods and internet software. Recent projects have included site selection analytics, party analytics, business strategy work, development of reporting and information systems, data analysis and operations optimization.
The ideal candidate possesses:
• Experience with data cleaning, stewardship, and/or ETL processes.
• Experience in data analysis and visualization tools, especially Excel and databases. Experience and familiarity with Filemaker, Tableau and ArcGIS is helpful
• Intelligent and with a sense for numbers
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills
• Ability to quickly learn software systems
• Capability of managing several projects at a time
• Personable and friendly
• Persistent and creative in pursuit of solutions
• Conversant in English
• Love of data and passion for analysis and data visualization