I am looking to add a writer to a team of long-term writers who have a knack for high heat Romance. The genre is MMF Bi, so ideally you are someone who is comfortable writing both emotional storylines as well as physical scenes that involve different configurations of three people with varying proclivities.
However, the TOP priority for these books will be emotional impact, good storylines with the usual ups and downs and in-betweens that characters go through before the happily ever after ending, etc. There should always be some conflict that keeps a reader turning pages to find out what happens. We can talk more about the details if/when you apply.
The length of the books will be 60k words, give or take, and the pay for a full book is $1,500. I would expect you to deliver 20k (1/3 of the book) every 2 weeks or so, and of course I will pay in $500 installments so that you aren't waiting around for payment over the course of a month or so!
Does this price seem too low to you, or is the deadline too restrictive? No problem. You are more than welcome to counter offer a higher price and suggest a different deadline. If your writing sample is really good and you are able to demonstrate what you can bring to the table, we can definitely talk about adjusted pricing.
As the title of the gig suggests, I am looking for a long-term writer. Please only apply if you have an excellent grasp on English writing and grammar and can submit complete writing (not just a stream of consciousness flow of ideas that haven't been connected into an actual story) over the course of each book. I must stress that I'm only interested in working with people who have at least 5 books of this length in them, and hopefully far more than that.
Unfortunately, I frequently end up hiring writers who turn in stellar work for the first 20k chunk, and then inexplicably the quality drops through the floor for all subsequent writing. This is a waste of time and money for both parties, so please be sure that you are able to bring your A game consistently. This means I will require some kind of outline with major plot beats, character pasts and motivations, etc. for each book so that we have a solid game plan on creating a great story with a cohesive beginning, middle and end.
Romance, with few exceptions, isn't about deeply multilayered plot lines, but it IS about depth of emotional interaction, characters growing as people, and ultimately a great relationship (between three people, in this case) blossoming as a result. Characters should always have some kind of interesting baggage from their past that makes them imperfect and which informs how they ultimately respond to the roadblocks that pop up in the course of any interesting story.
To make sure that everything is up to par, I do require that you turn in some kind of substantive writing sample in the Romance genre that contains not only some compelling piece of story but also a high heat love scene to make sure that we are going to be a good match!
Another issue: Communication means as much to me as great writing quality. I know that creativity doesn’t work to a strict deadline. The deadlines that we will be working on are only in place to keep us on SOME kind of schedule. If you are going to miss a deadline, please email me and just let me know. I can’t stand working with people who miss deadlines and then go into radio silence for days on end, which means I have to chase them down until they finally reply. If you aren’t good with communication, I don’t think we’ll be a good fit.
That's enough for now of what I would expect from you. Now let's talk about what you can expect from me, because this is a two way street:
- I pride myself on having an extremely warm, friendly relationship with all of the writers I work with, and in return they deliver imaginative writing and take their deadlines seriously.
- I pay promptly and on time.
- I endeavor to read and edit your submissions as quickly as my schedule allows, making it a priority not to waste YOUR time as much as I try not to waste my own :)
- My door is always open if you are experiencing writer's block, or if real life issues are getting in the way of your writing. I've often been told that I'm the top client for many writers both in terms of pay and warmth of interaction, which is why they tend to stick with me for a long time (generally a year or more).
- I will always treat you like a human being who is bringing value to my business, and not just a faceless person who I'm looking to screw over. I know there are a LOT of clients like this out there, and ghostwriters are getting fed up as a result. I really, really don't want to be that client.
If you're interested, please attach a writing sample of Romance to your application. Thank you VERY much for your time, I really appreciate it!