How to hire cartoonists
Trying to create illustrations for a children’s book? Or perhaps you’d like to liven up some educational print materials with some fun cartoons? A cartoonist can help you with your illustration needs.
So how do you hire cartoonists? What follows are some tips for finding top cartoonists on Upwork.
How to shortlist cartoonist professionals
As you’re browsing available cartoon consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a cartoonist who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., importing cartoons into Adobe InDesign to add to the pages of a brochure).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular cartoonist.
How to write an effective cartooning job post
With a clear picture of your ideal cartoonist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective cartooning job post should include:
- Scope of work: From editorial cartoons to textbook illustrations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or media, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create your own custom cartoons? Log in and post your cartooning job on Upwork today.
What is a cartoon?
Cartoons are simply drawings, sketches, and illustrations of people, animals, objects, and virtually anything else a cartoonist can imagine. They are often stylized, exaggerating certain features to create a certain look and feel.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in cartooning freelancers:
- Graphic design
- Character design
- Design tools such as Adobe Illustrator
Why hire cartoonists?
The trick to finding top cartoonists is to identify your needs. Are you looking for someone with experience creating satirical cartoons for the editorial section of your local paper? Does a given cartoonist’s art direction match your brand’s aesthetic style? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a cartoonist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced cartoonist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their cartoonist services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.