How to hire CMS developers
On the web, content is king. Content management systems (CMSs) were created to make it easier to create, edit, and publish content on the web.
So how do you hire CMS developers? What follows are some tips for finding top CMS developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist CMS development professionals
As you’re browsing available CMS development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the consultants you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a CMS developer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., on-site SEO).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular CMS developer.
How to write an effective CMS development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal CMS developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a consultant to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective CMS development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From building custom plugins to redesigning your site, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to unlock the hidden potential of your favorite CMS? Log in and post your CMS development job on Upwork today.
CMS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is CMS development?
WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Magento—all of these platforms are CMSs. Often branded as website builders, CMSs make it easier for nondevelopers to build the UI (user interface) of their site from prebuilt UI components and themes. The CMS also provides a user-friendly interface for uploading content such as text, video, and images. To give your site a custom look and feel, you need a web developer familiar with your CMS platform of choice.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in CMS development services and consultants:
- CMS development
- Web design
- Back-end web fundamentals (e.g., SQL, PHP)
- Experience with your preferred CMS (e.g., WordPress)
Why hire CMS developers?
The trick to finding top CMS developers is to identify your needs. Do you need someone with strong CSS skills to customize the look and feel of an existing Joomla site? Or do you require cybersecurity expertise to help you tighten the security of your WordPress site?
The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a CMS developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced CSM developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A consultant who is still in the process of building a client base may price their CMS development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project. Looking to set up a Website but not sure how much money it will take? Use Upwork's Free Website Cost Calculator tool to estimate costs associated with setting up a website - Website Design, development, and functionality.