What is a custom CMS developer?
A custom CMS developer creates content management software customized to the needs of their client. CMS developers untether content marketing from the restrictions of existing solutions like WordPress or Joomla with software built from scratch to meet certain specifications.
How do you hire a custom CMS developer?
You can source custom CMS developer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a custom CMS developer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview custom CMS developers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of custom CMS developer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a custom CMS developer
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced custom CMS developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their custom CMS developer services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a custom CMS developer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample custom CMS developer job post titles:
- Custom CMS developer needed to fix SEO issues
- Looking for a custom CMS developer with experience in logistics
- Knowledgeable CMS developer to create custom modules needed
An effective custom CMS developer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From plugins to design match, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or design, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Custom CMS developer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of custom CMS developer job responsibilities:
- Build web pages using HTML and CSS
- Create well designed and efficient HTML/CSS/XML
- Solve code problems
- Update site content and graphics
Custom CMS developer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a custom CMS developer. Here are some examples:
- Adept with content management tools like VCM, Adobe, and/or VAP
- Competent with programming languages like SQL, Java, XSLT, XML, Perl, and/or C#
- Knowledge of integrated development environments and interfaces
- Experience preparing and executing content migration plans and design patterns