How to hire e-commerce specialists
E-commerce specialists can help you conduct financial transactions over the internet. Whether you need to add a payment gateway to your blog or set up a secure trading platform for investors, e-commerce specialists are here to help.
So how do you hire e-commerce specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top e-commerce specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist e-commerce professionals
As you’re browsing available e-commerce consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Soft vs. hard skills. Do you need a developer or someone to manage your online business?
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., executing an Amazon private-label strategy).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular e-commerce specialist.
How to write an effective e-commerce job post
With a clear picture of your ideal e-commerce specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective e-commerce job post should include:
- Scope of work: From setting up an e-commerce site to managing an online store, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, business models, or e-commerce tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your e-commerce project to life? Log in and post your e-commerce job on Upwork today.
E-COMMERCE SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is e-commerce?
E-commerce (electronic commerce) is the process of buying and selling goods and services over the internet.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in e-commerce professionals:
- Web design and development
- E-commerce platforms (e.g., Shopify, WooCommerce, Magento)
Why do you want to hire e-commerce specialists?
The trick to finding top e-commerce specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to set up an online version of your bricks-and-mortar store? Or is your goal to sell goods through Amazon via a drop-shipping business model? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an e-commerce specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced e-commerce specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their e-commerce services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.