How to hire Elgg developers
There’s no question that social media has changed the way we interact with one another online. But what if you wanted to create your own social media platform or network? Elgg is a social networking engine that gives you everything you need to build your own network.
So how do you hire Elgg developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Elgg developers on Upwork.
What is Elgg?
Elgg is an open-source social network development framework. It allows web developers to build online community platforms, collaborative tools, and other social apps. Elgg’s plugins, themes, and APIs make building social networks a snap.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Elgg freelancers:
- Elgg social networking engine
- PHP programming language
- MySQL database with Apache and/or Nginx server
- RESTful APIs
How to shortlist Elgg freelancers
As you’re browsing available Elgg consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want an Elgg developer who understands the type of social network you are trying to build, and what technologies are needed to bring it to life.
- Project experience. You can screen candidates based on how similar their past social networking projects are to your own.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Elgg developer.
Why do you want to hire Elgg developers?
The trick to finding top Elgg developers is to identify your needs. Are you trying to build a collaborative tool to be used internally by your company? Or is your goal to create a social networking site for a virtual learning environment? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective Elgg job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Elgg developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Elgg job post should include:
- Scope of work: From e-learning platforms to niche community forums, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, such as the education sector, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to build your own social network? Log in and post your Elgg job on Upwork today.