How to hire financial planners
Financial planners can help you pursue capital investment projects, set budgets, pay off debts, and manage your risk.
So how do you hire financial planners? What follows are some tips for finding top financial planners on Upwork.
How to shortlist financial planning professionals
As you’re browsing available financial planning consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a financial planner who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., managing a real estate investment portfolio).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular financial planner.
How to write an effective financial planning job post
With a clear picture of your ideal financial planner in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective financial planning job post should include:
- Scope of work: From drafting financial plans to administering investment advice, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, assets, or financial tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to organize your finances? Log in and post your financial planning job on Upwork today.
FINANCIAL PLANNERS FAQ
What is financial planning?
Financial planning is the practice of formally defining an individual or corporation’s current financial status, their financial goals, and a plan of action for achieving those goals.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in financial planning professionals:
- Financial planning
- Financial analysis, modeling, and forecasting
Why do you want to hire financial planners?
The trick to finding top financial planners is to identify your needs. Do you need help planning for retirement via 401(k)s, IRAs, and other investments? Or do you require a certified public accountant to help you draft a formal financial plan for your business? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a financial planner?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced financial planner may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their financial planning services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.