What is a PLC programming freelancers?
A Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) is a computer control system used in industrial applications to help automate processes on the factory floor. PLC programmers help write the code that enables automation in a wide variety of business areas using languages like Ladder Logic, Instruction List (IL), Structured Test (ST), Function Block Diagram (FBD), or Sequential Function Charts (SFC) to help you bridge the gap between digital and analog machinery.
How do you hire a PLC programming freelancer?
You can source PLC programming freelancer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a PLC programming freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview PLC programming freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of PLC programming freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a PLC programming freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced PLC programming freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their PLC programming freelancing services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by PLC programming freelancers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $20 per hour
- Intermediate: $38 per hour
- Advanced: $200 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a PLC programming freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample PLC programming freelancer job post titles:
- We need help connecting our PLC over Ethernet to facilitate communication
- Need PLC expert to help us configure our old controller for a rugged industrial environment
- Looking for PLC programmer to help us develop specialty controls for the aquatic industry
An effective PLC programming freelancer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From programming specialty controls to troubleshoot old devices, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or connection method, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
PLC programming freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of PLC programming freelancer job responsibilities:
- Will be responsible for resetting the read-access passwords on all PLC devices as needed
- Develop processes and perform maintenance and fault diagnostics on implemented PLC processes
- Lead client update initiatives regarding the use and application of PLC systems in addition to informing them of possible conversions
PLC programming freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a PLC programming freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Must have extensive knowledge of control programs
- 5 years programming experience in an electrical engineering environment
- Undergraduate degree in computer science desirable
- Must be able to work autonomously and meet deadlines