We are looking for a beginner to intermediate level developer to help build an initial prototype of a multiplayer cooperative dungeon-crawler type game in Unreal Engine 4.
The primary goal at this stage is to develop a procedurally generated dungeon system.
“Unreal Engine 4 Dungeon Architect” (see links below) is the perfect example of what we are looking for:
The goal for this project is to either build similar functionality from scratch (let us know if you think you’re up for it), or to use the Dungeon Architect plug-in in order to meet the following criteria for the procedural level:
- The level must be generated completely at run-time, using pre-designed sections and filling the gaps with randomly generated fragments,
- The level will have simple tile-based structure, but must support custom modular meshes to fill out the geometry,
- The server must be able to distribute the level geometry information to clients upon joining the game (using the normal UE4 network replication or otherwise),
- The procedural generation system must support both pre-designed sections, fully random levels, and a mixture of both. See the above Dungeon Architect video for an example.
The completed prototype will have the following functionality:
- Basic first-person player controller (UE4 built-in),
- Basic command-line based multiplayer (no menu/lobbys etc. at this stage), up to 4 players,
- Placeholder geometry,
- No textures or sound.
When started, the server must generate a new procedural level meeting the above criteria. When a client connects, they must be sent the level information and be able to explore and see the other players.
Budget will depend on the agreed complexity (i.e., building a new solution or using an existing one).
If the prototype is completed in a satisfactory manner we will be happy to continue collaboration on further development of this project.