Check out a sample of the 556 Unity jobs posted on Upwork
Project Unity Webview Brief Description: Creation of a component (plug-in) that allows displaying a webview within a Canvas (UI) in U…
Less than 30 hrs/week
Less than 1 month
I have Unity project. I need to improve UI, I have a Figma. Current project has same UI with Figma, but not sharp and pixelated. So I a…
Hi i am looking for already developed cricket unity game source code.
Need to develop a small Native Android (Unity) app. A full description of the task is in the attachment. Please read it carefully. T…
Are you passionate about Unity XR development and want to dive into the exciting world of Unity? Firm on Price because this is a side…
Less than 30 hrs/week
1 to 3 months
Hi, does anyone has an idea about the McKinsey problem solving game? Only experts please. BR Martin
I need someone to help me setup the Appsflyer SDK in my Unity project. I have decided to go with an MMP as an all in one solution, inst…
I will update my game called 2488, which I made in Unity, and upload it to the play store and app store. The game I've been working on…
Hi, I will need to create animations for my 2D game in Unity using Unity's skeleton system. I have PSB of the characters, and I will n…
How to Become a Freelance Unity 3D Developer
A popular cross-platform game engine created by Unity Technologies, Unity supports both 2D and 3D design intended for video games. Unity 3D allows developers to create games in virtual reality, as well as augmented reality and virtual reality apps. Arguably the world’s most popular game engine, developers can use Unity 3D to create any game imaginable. If you enjoy developing games suitable for 3D environments, you might have what it takes to become a freelance Unity 3D developer on Upwork.
What does a freelance Unity 3D developer do?
Freelance Unity 3D developers are highly skilled professionals who create games using the Unity platform. Unity is a cross-platform game engine that allows developers to create games in high-quality 2D and 3D for gaming consoles, computers, and mobile devices, including iOS and Android.
Game designers who specialize in developing 3D mobile games using the Unity platform usually perform many tasks in order to create a functional game. These tasks include discussing game ideas with team members, developing a game strategy, developing proper functionality, designing game codes, testing theme dynamics and functionality, and ensuring games meet industry standards.
What skills do I need to become a freelance Unity 3D developer?
The skills needed to become a freelance game developer involve creativity, familiarity with gaming platforms, and a passion for the industry. While different clients may seek out developers with specific skills for certain projects, most skills are common and can be leveraged across projects.
Unity 3D developers benefit from having certain essential skills:
- Critical thinking skills. While freelance data analysts use the latest technology and software to glean helpful information from complex data, meaningful insights and solutions would not be possible without first possessing critical thinking skills.
- Creativity. Because Unity 3D developers are involved in conceptualizing games, it’s important they possess the necessary creativity to outline a game’s journey, including storylines, characters, environments, pitfalls, opportunities, game physics, and the steps necessary to be victorious. While developers don’t usually develop entire game scenarios in a vacuum, they should be capable of using their creativity as part of a development team.
- Attention to detail. When developing high-quality 3D games, attention to detail is a must, as the smallest inconsistency or error can be magnified. Freelance Unity 3D developers must be attentive to the smallest detail, ensuring the end product is built accurately without errors.
- Problem-solving skills. Developing 3D games, especially those involving complex strategies, requires excellent problem-solving skills. These skills are essential in evaluating prototypes and addressing problems that arise during the development phase.
- An understanding of gaming strategy. It’s necessary for freelance Unity 3D developers to have an understanding of gaming strategy. High-quality games need to have proper logic and engaging gameplay, and developers have a key role in ensuring the game’s success.
- Ability to program using the Unity platform. Unity 3D developers must possess programming skills, specifically to be used within the Unity platform, to be successful. Because Unity is the world’s most popular game development platform, efficient programming is a skill necessary for competent developers who wish to cultivate long-term freelance careers as Unity 3D developers.
- Communication skills. As with most game designer careers, excellent communication skills are necessary for Unity 3D developers. Communicating effectively with clients, stakeholders, team members, and clients will go a long way in quickly resolving issues, eliminating misunderstandings, and creating a pleasant working environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment. While some freelance Unity 3D developers may work on projects independently, most will work in a team environment. Being able to successfully collaborate with designers, strategists, programmers, music producers, artists, and other stakeholders is a must.
What are the core freelance Unity 3D developer job responsibilities?
Clients who work with Unity 3D developers require their developers to handle many core duties:
- Collaborate with the design team assigned to specific games to discuss ideas, strategies, requirements, and specifications
- Develop and implement game functionality
- Program and build games using game codes
- Build upgrades and game patches when necessary
- Test games for functionality, logic, and theme
- Brainstorm with the product development team to identify potential gaps in the industry
- Train new hires in programming on the Unity platform
- Review the work of all team members prior to incorporating their components into the final game
- Provide regular updates on progress of games in development, debugging process of finished games, and feedback from customer focus groups
As a result, clients and employers may list several common requirements in a Unity game developer job description:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in game development or a related field
- Experience working in the game industry
- Knowledge of Unity, as well as programming languages and frameworks
- Significant game development experience, and examples of previous work
Should I get a degree or certification to become a freelance Unity 3D developer?
In addition to developing your skills and gaining experience from employer or client work, it may be helpful to earn a degree and/or professional certification to help your Upwork profile stand out. While it’s not necessary to obtain a degree or certificate to become a Unity 3D developer, getting a formal education can be an advantage as you start your career.
Some popular degrees or certifications may be helpful:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, game development, computer engineering or an equivalent field of study from an accredited college or university
- Certified User, Associate, Professional, or Expert—offered by Unity
Jumpstart your freelance Unity 3D developer career on Upwork and start looking for your first job. Eager to learn more about Unity 3D developer jobs on Upwork? Check out these additional resources:
Upwork is not affiliated with and does not sponsor or endorse any of the tools or services discussed in this section. These tools and services are provided only as potential options, and each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyse and determine the tools or services that would best fit their specific needs and situation.
Your next job starts right here
Set up a free profile to showcase your skills, experience and desired pay rate to clients. You choose the payment method that's best for you to easily get paid for your work.Find work
Gives you security and peace of mind