Our website is currently online at http://www.adventurehotelsofcostarica.com and is powered by Wordpress, however there are a few things that need to be fixed and I just don't have time to do it myself.
- Allow users to contact more than one hotel at a time without having to fill out multiple contact forms. I am not entirely sure how to work it into the UI in an intuitive way. Currently users are able to filter hotels based on different criteria (such as location, price range, hotel type, etc) on the map. It would be great to be able to integrate that into it somehow as well so that the user doesn't contact hotels that they already know won't work for them.
- Price ranges and categories should appear on individual hotel pages, not just as filter options.
- Add cell phone number field and make it appear on hotel pages
- "Featured images" for articles as well as hotel images should appear as a slider at the top of the page. I like the "Kenburns" transition used here: http://wowslider.com/css3-slider-easy-bubbless-demo.html (or similar)
- Display a link to all articles from hotel owner at the bottom of the hotel page and vice versa (link to hotel page on articles)
- Add a "Tours" custom page type. Only the administrator should be able to add/edit them.
- In order for hotels to be listed on the website we require that they provide a link to the website's home page on their own website. Before we migrated to Wordpress I wrote a script that goes through each of the hotel's websites and checks whether there is a link present. Unfortunately during the Wordpress migration we lost this functionality. We need to add another field to the hotel add/edit page that contains the path on their website containing the link to the AHCR website. For example, if their website is http://www.hotelexample.net and they link to us on http://www.hotelexample.net/en/index2.php then this field would need to contain only the "/en/index2.php" part. So basically their main website URL plus this field will be concatenated together to make the URL containing the link to the association website. When adding a hotel our website needs to perform this check and if the link is not present it should be flagged as not having the link. My idea is to add another column to the hotel list (/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=hotel) containing the status of the link, but if you can think of a better way to do it that's fine. The check script should also run with cron and remove sites with no link and email the site owner and admin. I can provide the original link check script
- Update Wordpress and all plugins and verify everything works
Bugs that need to be fixed:
- Currently the hotel's location is taken from Google maps based on the marker location. This is then displayed on the hotel's page (e.g. http://www.adventurehotelsofcostarica.com/hotel/adventure-inn/), however there are times that we would like to allow hotel owners to override this text (without affecting the position of the marker). Maybe adding a separate field for "Location name override" or something along those lines.
- There is a bug that occurs when a hotel owner saves their gallery that the location marker position is reset.
- When making changes if the hotel owner leaves the page there used to be a dialog that popped up confirming if they want to leave the page, however I believe this was lost with one of the upgrades or edits. This needs to be re-added.
- On hotel pages on the image gallery, if the last page does not have 4 photos clicking on the little bubble to get to the last page does not work (e.g. http://www.adventurehotelsofcostarica.com/hotel/conchal-hotel/)
- The map should work correctly with IE. I seem to recall there were some bugs with it, but can't remember off the top of my head.
- Users should be able to delete their own images.
- Limit all map boundaries to Costa Rica.
Finally, if you have any further ideas about how you could make the site better or if you find any other bugs not listed here I will be willing to re-hire.