What is packaging design?
Packaging design is the 3D design of the physical enclosure that will protect your product.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in packaging design professionals:
- Packaging design
- Label design
- CAD (computer-aided design) tools such as SolidWorks
- Graphic design
Why do you want to hire packaging designers?
The trick to finding top packaging designers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to draft an engineering drawing of some custom packaging to specific industry standards? Will your designer also need graphic design skills to design the logo and typography on your label? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE PACKAGING DESIGNERS
From protecting your product to advertising it on store shelves and informing the end user how to use your product, packaging serves multiple functions. Packaging designers can help you create quality packaging for your products.
So how do you hire packaging designers? What follows are some tips for finding top packaging designers on Upwork.
How to shortlist packaging design professionals
As you’re browsing available packaging design consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a packaging designer who understands your industry so they can design packaging that meets industry requirements.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., graphic design skills for designing your label).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular packaging designer.
How to write an effective packaging design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal packaging designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective packaging design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From label layout to CAD files, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to design product packaging your can be proud of? Log in and post your packaging design job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING PACKAGING DESIGNERS
How much does it cost to hire a packaging designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced packaging designer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their packaging design services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a packaging designer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long it takes to design quality packaging, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more complex packaging designs. For example, using a standardized box format will typically take less time than designing custom shaped plastic packaging for an electronic device.
What are the steps involved to hire packaging designers?
Here’s how to hire packaging design consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s designing a bottle or a box.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., designing thermally resistant packaging for lithium ion batteries).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential packaging designers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., drafting designs that meet DOT hazard requirements for packaging chemicals).
- Interview packaging design talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.