How to hire Steam API developers
Steam is the largest digital distribution platform for buying and playing video games. If you wish to take advantage of Steam’s market, a Steam API developer can help you integrate your game with Steam.
So how do you hire Steam API developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Steam API developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist Steam API professionals
As you’re browsing available Steam API consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a Steam API developer who understands the technologies behind the video game you’re trying to build.
- Project experience. Some developers will have portfolios showcasing past projects that can tell you if a particular developer is right for your needs.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Steam API developer.
How to write an effective Steam API job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Steam API developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Steam API job post should include:
- Scope of work: From user authentication to collecting user data, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to fully integrate your video game with Steam? Log in and post your Steam API job on Upwork today.
STEAM API DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is Steam API?
Steam API or Steamworks is an HTTP-based Web API that contains public methods for making HTTP requests to the game client or server. It also contains private methods to handle authentication and secure transactions. From executing in-game purchases to verifying Steam user credentials, Steamworks provides everything you need to integrate your video game with Steam.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Steam API professionals:
- Steam API
- Game development platforms such as Unity
- RESTful APIs
- Game-specific technologies such as AR and VR
Why do you want to hire Steam API developers?
The trick to finding top Steam API developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to retrieve user stats and achievements for a leaderboard? Or are you trying to set up in-game purchases for microtransactions? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a Steam API developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Steam API developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Steam API development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.