We are working on a new product design for trailer tracking applications. The device will typically be mounted on top of trailers of various types (reefers, tankers, curtain-siders, iso-containers etc.) and must therefore be robust, weatherproof, compact and offer flexible mounting options. Initially, we are seeking concepts for the design in terms of appearance, cable entry solution, assembly, sealing and mounting. The successful design will be:
1. Aesthetically pleasing, whilst not having the appearance of a consumer product, it should project an industrial/automotive image of high quality and robust construction.
2. Fast and simple to assemble
3. Reliable IP68 sealing (we prefer over-moulded seals to separate/loose seals)
4. Provision for a single cable entry (or connector), based on an 9 way multicore cable, individual conductor size 22-24AWG and out sheath diameter 5.8mm
5. RF transparent (low attenuation of RF signals from 800MHz to 3.0GHz)
6. Internal mounting provision for a PCB assembly (approx. 60 x 40mm) and a large lithium battery (up to 180 x 36 x 70mm)
7. Compatible with injection mould tooling and production in volumes of 10k pieces per annum
8. Relatively low-cost (without appearing to be ‘cheap’)
The idea is to engage several designers to propose concepts, from which one will be chosen to proceed to detailed design for prototyping and production.
The enclosure concept may influence the design of the internals, PCB, battery and connector / cabling, so those are not defined at this stage. Please don't ask about specific dimensions etc. because we don't yet know them! We are seeking a concept only at this stage.
The concept should be sufficiently detailed to demonstrate internal mounting of PCBA and battery, cabling/interconnect, sealing and assembly.