Flexible approvals for more efficient workflows
When you’re working with large teams, keeping processes efficient is vital to growth—but can be difficult. That's why we introduced flexible approval workflows. As a result, Enterprise Suite clients can get better control of project scope, spend, and other operational details.
Flexible approval workflows allow users to:
- Assign approvers to manage a team's contract requests
- Build multiple approval workflows with simultaneous and sequential chains of approvers
- Get an overview of all approval requests via a single dashboard
- Quickly reassign approval responsibilities, if needed
Greater clarity and improved governance with self-serve reports
For our Enterprise Suite customers, this year was all about data. Knowing how important granular data is for governance, compliance, and planning, we launched a bundle of new self-serve reports that provide this data on demand:
- Talent performance reports give administrators and hiring managers valuable insights into talent disposition, administration, and feedback. This includes talent sources, talent locations, total active contracts, contracts per worker, spend per worker, client satisfaction scores, and internal comments or reviews.
- User activity reports help to boost Enterprise Suite users' confidence in the way they're working with talent by providing data about talent spend, total contracts, and contract status—all at the team level.
- Payroll billing enhancements make it easier for our Upwork Payroll customers to see new cost data, including payroll fees, and access detailed invoice breakdowns that help when allocating spend.
Quick connections between Upwork talent and clients
While independent professionals on Upwork have always been able to indicate their general availability for work, the addition of an availability badge makes it more clear who’s ready to work right away.
Talent can turn on an availability badge on their profiles using Connects when they're online and ready to work—and turn it off just as easily when they're taking a break or fully booked.
Clients can see this badge when viewing talent profiles, making it easier than ever to get work done quickly. Our initial analysis of this feature indicated that talent who turned on the badge were 76.3% more likely to accept a client invite.
Higher talent visibility through boosted proposals
Boosted proposals are a way for Upwork Talent to indicate their interest in a specific Talent MarketplaceTM job post.
Talent can use Connects to bid on placement in the top three spots in a client’s list of proposals, boosting their visibility. In fact, we've found that boosting a proposal can increase a professional's chances of landing a job by as much as 55%.
When clients are ready to review, they’ll see these boosted proposals first. While all talent can opt to boost a proposal, we’ve found that the independent professionals boosting proposals are 66% more likely to be Top Rated.
More ways to collaborate with paid consultations
Paid consultations are yet another way for talent and clients to work together flexibly on Upwork. Offered through Project Catalog™, consultations are paid one-time calls between a client and talent.
These sessions are perfect for getting advice about next steps to take in a business, learning more about a specific skill or service, building a profile as a trusted advisor, and getting a sense for what working with someone new might be like.
More efficient communication through Upwork Messages
Upwork Messages is an essential part of communication when working on Upwork. We released several new feature sets that make organizing files, staying connected, and collaborating using this tool even easier. Users have the ability to:
- Keep the same Messages room active when repurchasing a Project Catalog listing
- Flip through shared images directly in the Messages interface, without downloading files
- Find shared files and links faster with built-in search functionality
Increased financial clarity with new Payroll billing enhancements
Updates to the Upwork Payroll transaction history view give clients even more clarity over how they pay their freelance teams. Clients can now see the following all in one place:
- Talent pay rates
- Reimbursements issues
- Taxes paid
- Payroll fees paid
More granular control over the way clients and talent work together
Project Catalog users now have greater control and clarity around the types of services they sell or buy.
Talent can now structure their listings in the way that works best for them, thanks to the ability to create custom tiers on any project. As a result, clients browsing Project Catalog for help can get a better sense for everything offered.
Create connection and build skills all in one place
Upwork Community is a place to connect with other similar and like-minded independent professionals—even more so now that we’ve expanded the ways in which members can do so.
- Upwork Community groups (over 100 of them!) help like-minded independent professionals connect with each other based on industry, location, and other identifiers
- Community badges allow members to highlight their involvement
- Career CloseUp is a place to share independent professionals' stories
- Upwork Academy offers nine learning paths and 13 courses to help Community members do more on Upwork
- The Rate Calculator helps to boost transparency around what talent can realistically charge for services and projects
Grow professional networks for referrals, collaboration, and more
The launch of the Your Network feature gives Upwork talent even more ways to link up with other independent professionals for referrals, collaboration, and connection. Users can:
- Keep track of other Upwork professionals they've connected with
- Add users to a network directly from an Upwork profile
- Get recommendations of other professionals to connect with on Upwork
Find freelance work, no matter the location
The war in Ukraine brought the reality of millions into the spotlight: People can be and are displaced from their homes and jobs abruptly. When professionals are displaced by conflict, securing work again can be hard—even though finding a source of income is often vital.
We immediately mobilized to help Ukraine-based professionals impacted by the war. To date, Upwork has:
- Donated $1 million directly to relief efforts
- Led a matching campaign delivering over $100,000 to eight nonprofits supporting the war relief effort
- Partnered with the Tent Partnership for Refugees to create Opportunity Unlimited, an initiative that helps displaced professionals find work and get the resources they need to conduct that work in a new location or under new circumstances
- Continued to partner with global non-governmental organizations (NGOs), including the U.N. International Organization for Migration, to help connect Ukraine-based professionals and companies ready to hire them
We’ve also launched a feature that allows Upwork clients to purchase Project Catalog services from eligible Ukraine-based talent and donate the payment directly to them, without requiring any work.
To get involved, view all eligible Project Catalog listings or visit our Opportunity Unlimited information page to learn more about how you can become a part of this effort.
Get support for all the ways you work in 2023
Ready to try out one of our new features or revisit a project you previously started? Log in to or create an Upwork account now for access to tools that are designed to help you work the way you want to—no matter where you are.
Have a suggestion for an additional feature or update? We’re constantly evolving! Join in on the conversation and share your suggestions with us in the Upwork Community.