How to hire internet researchers
Pick any topic—be it finance, marketing, public policy, or pop culture—and chances are high you’ll find an abundance of information readily available on the internet. Verifying the validity of that information, however, is another story. Internet researchers can do the heavy lifting of validating sources and locating obscure pieces of information.
So how do you hire internet researchers? What follows are some tips for finding top internet research consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist internet research professionals
As you’re browsing available internet research consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an internet researcher who understands your industry so they can leverage trusted sources of information.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., web scraping public data for a market report).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular internet researcher.
How to write an effective internet research job post
With a clear picture of your ideal internet researcher in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective internet research job post should include:
- Scope of work: From researching topics to fact-checking content, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, research tools, or technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to collect data and information off the internet? Log in and post your internet research job on Upwork today.
INTERNET RESEARCHERS FAQ
What is internet research?
Internet research is a general term for obtaining information from the internet. From fact-checking content to gathering data for marketing forecasts, there are many reasons businesses and organizations might contract an internet researcher.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in internet research professionals:
- Internet research
- Content writing
- Subject-matter expertise (e.g., finance, energy, real estate)
Why hire internet researchers?
The trick to finding top internet researchers is to identify your needs. Are you looking for a content writer who can perform their own research on a variety of topics in your niche? Will you require more-demanding technical skills such as web scraping to get the data you need? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an internet researcher?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced internet researcher may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their internet research more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.