How to hire scientific writers
Whether it’s a journal article, a research paper, or a science blog post, scientific writers know how to communicate information effectively to a science-literate audience.
So how do you hire scientific writers? What follows are some tips for finding top scientific writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist scientific writing professionals
As you’re browsing available scientific writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Subject matter fit. You want a scientific writer who understands the field of study you wish to create content for.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., writing proposals to secure funding through research grants in the medical industry).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular scientific writer.
How to write an effective scientific writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal scientific writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective scientific writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing literature reviews to lab reports, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain writing styles or subjects, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create content that will resonate with scientists, researchers, and academics? Log in and post your scientific writing job on Upwork today.
Scientific Writers FAQs
What is scientific writing?
Scientific writing is a style of academic writing designed to communicate scientific information to other scientists.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in scientific writing professionals:
- Scientific writing
- Academic writing
- Editing and proofreading
- Subject-matter expertise (e.g., medical science, chemistry, physics)
Why hire scientific writers?
The trick to finding top scientific writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to provide content for a science blog? Or do you need a proposal writer to help you apply for an NSF (National Science Foundation) grant? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a scientific writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced scientific writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their scientific writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.