I'm currently in need of an editor for a suspense/horror novel that's currently 75,000 words. This project is the first book in a series, and I would like to find someone that will work on this book, and continue working through the rest of the series. This is my first attempt at self-publication. I am rather unknown in the field of Fiction and am looking to make an amazing and memorable impact in the market as I have already written a total of three installments and wanting to start a large group following.
For this project, I'm looking for an editor who can:
- go over my work, fixing grammatical and spelling errors so it's in publishable quality with no mistakes
- note any cliche's, and remove any unnecessary words in sentences
- re-arrange sentences so the story flows better. I don't want this done excessively, but if you see something like "the mysterious disappearance of my wife" and think it would be better if it said "my wife's mysterious disappearance" then please make the recommendation
- make occasional comments on how the writing in the story could be improved, and also mention any plot holes or things that don't make sense. I am especially concerned with this since after thinking of the premise and how it may seem to far fetched and unrealistic at times. I am open to suggestions on making the characters more believable.
- make suggestions on improving characters and their motivations, (ex. "Rachel would never say/do something like that!")
**Note: The two things I want above all else are for their to not be any major story errors/issues and for it to read and flow well so it's enjoyable for the reader.**
Here's the process I'd like to use for the project:
1) You edit, using Track Changes in Word. You also make any comments or suggestions that you see fit.
2) I go through everything, accepting/rejecting your suggestions. Also making any story edits from your comments. Then send back to you.
3) You then go through each chapter a final time, exclusively looking for spelling/grammar errors and making it 100% error-free. Again, using the track changes feature to send back to me so I can see what things are being fixed.
At first, we'll do this chapter by chapter. Once we both get a feel for working together, I'll give you the go ahead to go through the entire story.
Type of person I'm looking for:
1) Great attitude, takes great pride in creating error-free stories that really makes readers unable to put the book down.
2) Someone with a strong grasp of what makes a fantastic story, and what makes characters really come to life on the page.
3) The more experience with editing, the better. But I wouldn't rule out a current, talented English Major with little experience and hungry to get started.
4) Someone who is a real go-getter. I have a goal of writing a million words per year, and would love to have an editor that really wants to have that kind of work and make beautiful stories together for the next decade.
5) Someone who can get things done in a reasonable time frame, and responds to emails within at least 2 business days.
1) Since I am on a limited budget and don’t have a lot to spend I would like to make the fee negotiable. If you feel you're worth a little more or willing to work for a little less, please let me know why in your bid. All things are negotiable, including work being done and time frame of delivery.
2) I would prefer to make full payment after completed work. However, if you want installments of half the payment when we're halfway through, and the other half after completing the work. I'm flexible on that, too.
Finally, I really need you to go through and do a sample edit, so I can get a feel for your editing style to see if it's a good fit for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'll only ask you if I think there's a very good chance you could win the project.
Also, I want to make sure you've read the requirements, so in your reply start by saying "send me the first chapter", along with why you would make an ideal candidate, your background, your estimated time of completion, and your compensation.
Thanks and I look forward to working with you!