The Columbia Center for Public Research and Leadership (CPRL) is seeking an inquisitive, driven web developer with a passion for enacting change in the education space. The project is to help create and deliver an innovative web-based evaluation tool for use by education-sector foundations, harbormasters, multi-operator intermediary organizations, and other users whose success depends upon the results obtained by diverse partners pursuing distinct strategies. The web-app allow these stakeholders to measure, track, evaluate, and improve steps to enhance access by all students to high-quality schools, particularly those in underserved communities.
You will work with an experienced product manager, and an interdisciplinary team of exceptional graduate students from some of the nation’s top business, education, law, and policy schools. The project will transform an existing Excel-based prototype and turn its core function into a viable web-app, while iterating with the team to identify new functionalities and markets beyond the core.
• Attend meetings and check-ins with CPRL Team, as needed. Push the team to define functionalities.
• Partner with CPRL to translate business requirements beyond core functionality into technical requirements and specifications
• Develop software that meets technical specifications
• Develop website and embed tools within
• BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience)
• Proficient in at least one programming language
• Extensive User Account/Permission design experience
• Familiarity with data management and quality assurance
• Knowledge of basic statistics
• Experience with developing data-driven web applications
• Experience with data visualization or design
• Ability to manipulate, organize, and analyze large datasets
• Ability or interest in translating education policy into actionable data requirements and business rules
• Ability to clearly communicate and document technical work, including coding methodology
• Experience with agile methodologies