How to hire CGI specialists
From creating visual effects for recorded video to character designs for animated films, a CGI (computer-generated imagery) specialist can help with all your visual needs.
So how do you hire CGI specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top CGI specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist CGI professionals
As you’re browsing available CGI consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Art direction. You want a CGI specialist whose art style matches your brand or your vision for the type of art or film you wish to create.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., creating character models in Cinema 4D).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular CGI specialist.
How to write an effective CGI job post
With a clear picture of your ideal CGI specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective CGI job post should include:
- Scope of work: From static CGI art to animations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries and/or software, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your artistic vision to life through the power of CGI? Log in and post your CGI job on Upwork today.
CGI SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is CGI?
CGI refers to the use of computer hardware and software to create images used in animations and visual effects. The term is most commonly used in the context of film, television, and video games.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in CGI consultants:
- 3D design, rendering, and modeling
- Graphic design tools such as Adobe Illustrator
- Video editing software such as Adobe Premiere
- CGI software such as Maya and Blender
Why hire CGI specialists?
The trick to finding top CGI specialists is to identify your needs. Are you looking for someone experienced with Adobe After Effects to add titles, 2D animations, and special effects to your video ad? Or is your goal to create a CGI film, requiring extensive experience rigging and animating character models with Blender? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a CGI specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced CGI specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their CGI services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.