How to hire financial writers
There exists a whole dictionary of terms and phrases unique to finance. From covering financial news to writing corporate financial reports, financial writers have the diction and voice needed to communicate topics in the world of finance.
So how do you hire financial writers? What follows are some tips for finding top financial writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist financial writing professionals
As you’re browsing available financial writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. It can be helpful if the financial writer understands how finance intersects with your particular industry (e.g., energy, health, music).
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., writing engaging content for a finance blog).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular financial writer.
How to write an effective financial writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal financial writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective financial writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From financial plans to ebooks, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create financial content that will resonate with your target audience? Log in and post your financial writing job on Upwork today.
FINANCIAL WRITERS FAQ
What is financial writing?
Financial writing is writing for a financially literate audience. Financial writers know the terminology and voice needed to resonate with people interested in financial news and reports.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in financial writing consultants:
- Financial writing
- Financial analysis
- Content creation
- Writing specialization (e.g., copywriting, SEO writing, technical writing)
Why hire financial writers?
The trick to finding top financial writers is to identify your needs. Do you need help writing internal financial reports? Or is your goal to create fun, engaging content for a finance-themed blog? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a financial writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced financial writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product that needs less editing on your end.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their financial writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.