What is a mechanical engineer?
The design and manufacture of machinery requires the expertise of a mechanical engineer. Whether creating a small toy or an expensive automobile, a mechanical engineering professional should exhibit strong scientific and manufacturing expertise to ensure the final mechanical structure operates as planned.
How do you hire a mechanical engineer?
You can source mechanical engineering talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a mechanical engineer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview mechanical engineers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of mechanical engineer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a mechanical engineer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced mechanical engineer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their mechanical engineering services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by a mechanical engineer on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $20 per hour
- Intermediate: $38 per hour
- Advanced: $85 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a mechanical engineering job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample mechanical engineering job post titles:
- Senior mechanical engineer needed for testing automobile engine components
- Need a seasoned product designer with mechanical engineering experience
- 3D- and CAD-capable mechanical engineer needed for manufacturing start-up
An effective mechanical engineering job post should include:
- Scope of work: From modifying old designs to designing complex machinery, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or materials, mention this here
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Mechanical engineering job responsibilities
Here are some examples of mechanical engineering job responsibilities:
- Measure performance of mechanical components, devices, and engines
- Oversee maintenance of complex equipment to ensure safety and reliability
- Use computer-aided design and modeling software to refine machine components
- Provide technical advice to client and colleagues as needed
Mechanical engineering job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a mechanical engineer. Here are some examples:
- Experience using CAD software to design precise components for complex engines
- Excellent creative and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet deadlines