What is a typist?
A typist is someone with professional typing skills who works in an administrative setting.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in professional typists:
- Data entry
- Writing, editing, and proofreading
- Word processors such as Microsoft Word
Why do you want to hire typists?
The trick to finding top typists is to identify your needs. There are three main types of typists: audio typists who produce text from dictated audio, copy typists who produce text from printed or handwritten sources, and shorthand typists who use a high speed typing system to record speech in real time. The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE TYPISTS
Need someone who can produce letters, books, and other documents from dictated audio or printed sources? A typist can help.
So how do you hire typists? What follows are some tips for finding top typists on Upwork.
How to shortlist professional typists
As you’re browsing available typing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Writing specializations. Depending on what type of text you wish a typist to produce, you may need someone with copywriting, technical writing, or legal writing expertise.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., Gregg shorthand typing system).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular typist.
How to write an effective typist job post
With a clear picture of your ideal typist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective typist job post should include:
- Scope of work: From letters to reports, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, writing styles, or shorthand systems, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to find a professional typist for your organization? Log in and post your typist job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING TYPISTS
How much does it cost to hire a typist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced typist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their typist services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a typist to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a typist, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more demanding typist projects. For example, typing a letter from dictated audio will typically take less time than sifting through print records and handwritten notes to produce an official report.
What are the steps involved to hire typists?
Here’s how to hire typing consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s report writing or creating content for the web.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., taking notes and turning them into reports).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential typists for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., legal writing expertise for transcribing courtroom audio).
- Interview typist talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.