How to hire business planning analysts
Need to gather requirements from stakeholders, generate business forecasts, and create a plan for meeting your business goals? A business planning analyst can help.
So how do you hire business planning analysts? What follows are some tips for finding top business planning analysts on Upwork.
How to shortlist business planning analysis professionals
As you’re browsing available business planning analysis consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a business planning analyst who understands your industry so they can develop the right business strategy for your needs.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., using Excel pivot tables to analyze data).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular business planning analyst.
How to write an effective business planning analysis job post
With a clear picture of your ideal business planning analyst in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective business planning analysis job post should include:
- Scope of work: From business plans to stakeholder management, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to draft plans and procedures that will streamline your business operations? Log in and post your business planning analysis job on Upwork today. Have a brilliant business idea in mind? But not sure how much money will it take to bring your idea to life? Upwork's Free Startup Cost Calculator can help you estimate the cost required to set up a Startup business
BUSINESS PLANNING ANALYSTS FAQ
What is business planning analysis?
Business planning analysis is the practice of using business intelligence to develop and implement plans, processes, and procedures within an organization. The business planning analyst will also often serve as a liaison between the various stakeholders and departments within a company.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in business planning analysis consultants:
- Business planning, development, and analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Business, technical, financial, and/or legal writing
- Business modeling and forecasting
Why hire business planning analysts?
The trick to finding top business planning analysts is to identify your needs. Do you need someone simply to draft a basic business plan? Or do you also need help documenting and generating risk-mitigation procedures? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a business planning analyst?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced business planning analyst may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their business planning analysis services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.