How to hire management consultants
Looking for a seasoned professional with experience solving complex business problems? A management consultant can help.
So how do you hire management consultants? What follows are some tips for finding top management consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist management consulting professionals
As you’re browsing available management consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a management consultant who understands your industry so they can leverage past experience to offer relevant solutions.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., experience as an Agile scrum master).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular management consultant.
How to write an effective management consulting job post
With a clear picture of your ideal management consultant in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective management consulting job post should include:
- Scope of work: From implementing project management systems to coaching executives, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or project management methodologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to take your management processes to the next level? Log in and post your management consulting job on Upwork today.
MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS FAQ
What is management consulting?
Management consulting entails leveraging past management experience to solve problems. Management consultants will interview employees and executives and analyze internal data to help improve management processes.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in management consulting professionals:
- Management consulting
- Operations management
- Project management methodologies (e.g., Scrum, Lean, Six Sigma)
- Industry-specific expertise (e.g., supply chain management at a medical company)
Why hire management consultants?
The trick to finding top management consultants is to identify your needs. Are you looking for executive coaching to change the management culture at your organization? Is your goal to adopt a new project management methodology such as Kanban? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a management consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced management consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their management consulting services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.