What is a business consultant?
Business consultants provide management consulting to help businesses and organizations improve performance and efficiency. They analyze workflows throughout the company and create solutions to enable businesses to meet corporate goals.
How do you hire a business consultant?
You can source business consultantds on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a business consultant.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview business consultants. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of business consultant you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a business consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced business consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their business consulting services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project. Have a brilliant business idea in mind? But not sure how much money will it take to bring your idea to life? Upwork's Free Startup Cost Calculator can help you estimate the cost required to set up a startup business.
How do you write a business consultant job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample business consultant job post titles:
- Need talented business consultant to identify areas to target company growth
- Business consultant needed to create new training program for company analysts
- Pro needed to assist new nonprofit with strategic planning
An effective business consultant job post should include:
- Scope of work: From strategic planning to creating a training program, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or leadership development, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Business consultant job responsibilities
Here are some examples of business consultant job responsibilities:
- Analyzing the company’s overall operations and identifying areas of improvement
- Assisting with implementing identified solutions to improve company efficacy
- Facilitating leadership’s ability to identify and cope with future obstacles
Business consultant job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a business consultant. Here are some examples:
- Industry-specific business consulting expertise
- Proven track record of running a business in your industry
- Working knowledge of accounting, finance, marketing, and management
- Leadership coaching and training