SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS
What is supply chain management?
Supply chain management is the active management of the different components that make up a supply chain: sources, inventory, production, and transportation.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in supply chain management professionals:
- Supply chain management
- Logistics and shipping
- Spreadsheet programs such as Excel
- Supply chain management platforms (e.g., SAP, Infor, Oracle)
Why do you want to hire supply chain management consultants?
The trick to finding top supply chain management consultants is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find someone to negotiate contracts with suppliers, shipping lines, warehouse managers, and other third party logistics? Will they also need a strong technical background in database management and IT infrastructure to help you set up a smart supply chain with Oracle? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS
From managing inventory to fulfilling shipping orders to implementing tracking systems, supply chain managers are here to help.
So how do you hire supply chain management consultants? What follows are some tips for finding top supply chain management consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist supply chain management professionals
As you’re browsing available supply chain management consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a supply chain management consultant who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., enabling smart tracking of inventory and shipments via IoT).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular supply chain management consultant.
How to write an effective supply chain management job post
With a clear picture of your ideal supply chain management consultant in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective supply chain management job post should include:
- Scope of work: From inventory management to shipping logistics, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, technologies, or supply chain tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to streamline your supply chain? Log in and post your supply chain management job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS
How much does it cost to hire a supply chain management consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced supply chain management consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their supply chain management more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a supply chain management consultant to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a supply chain manager, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more managing complex supply chains. For example, handling the shipping and logistics for a single warehouse will typically take less time than managing a global supply chain.
What are the steps involved to hire supply chain management consultants?
Here’s how to hire supply chain management consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s implementing smart tracking or coordinating with freight forwarders.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., installation and setup of SAP SCM at your organization).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential supply chain management consultants for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., supply chain automation via Oracle).
- Interview supply chain management talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.