How to hire curriculum developers
Planning on starting your own online course? You’ll need a curriculum developer to help you create a course that will help your students learn the skills you wish to teach.
So how do you hire curriculum developers? What follows are some tips for finding top curriculum developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist curriculum development professionals
As you’re browsing available curriculum development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Subject matter. You want a curriculum developer who understands the subject you are trying to teach so they can best divide up the coursework into meaningful classes.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., experience creating courses for a specific eLearning platform such as Udemy).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular curriculum developer.
How to write an effective curriculum development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal curriculum developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective curriculum development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From class schedules to online quizzes, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to develop your own online course? Log in and post your curriculum development job on Upwork today.
CURRICULUM DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is curriculum development?
Curriculum development is the process of creating multiple classes, quizzes, and assignments into one cohesive course. A course may consist of multiple disciplines needed to understand the underlying theory behind a skill that’s being taught.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in curriculum development consultants:
- Curriculum development
- Instructional design
- Online education/eLearning
- Online community management
Why hire curriculum developers?
The trick to finding top curriculum developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create a sequence of internal training courses for your business? Or will you be publishing your course on a major online learning platform? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a curriculum developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced curriculum developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their curriculum development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.