What is a fundraising consultant?
From grant writing to running a fundraising campaign, a lot of work goes into raising funds for charity, research, and other projects. Fundraising consultants are available via Upwork and can help you navigate the fundraising process by implementing activities such as soliciting donations through a charity dinner, crowdfunding, and digital marketing campaigns.
How do you hire a fundraising consultant?
You can source fundraising consultant talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a fundraising consultant.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview fundraising consultants. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of fundraising consultant you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a fundraising consultant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced fundraising consultant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their fundraising consultant services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a fundraising consultant job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample fundraising consultant job post titles:
- Nonprofit consultant wanted to help organization raise funds
- Fundraising expert needed to drive church expansion campaign
- Grant writer wanted to help solicit funding from the federal government and foundations
An effective fundraising consultant job post should include:
- Scope of work: From grant writing to producing a fundraising dinner, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain causes, financial thresholds, or methods, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Fundraising consultant job responsibilities
Here are some examples of fundraising consultant job responsibilities:
- Develop and implement corporate fundraising programs for clients
- Create strategies designed to encourage new contributions
- Recruit sponsors and volunteers for fundraising events
Fundraising consultant job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a fundraising consultant. Here are some examples:
- Minimum three years fundraising experience with environmental nonprofits
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or nonprofit management
- Track record of meeting or exceeding financial goals in previous fundraising campaigns