What is a job description writer?
A job description writer is a professional who specializes in crafting the responsibilities and requirements regarding a job position. This type of writer may work with an HR department to help develop the parameters of a full-time, open position or a small business owner to compose the details of a part-time or contract position.
How do you hire a job description writer?
You can source job description writer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a job description writer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview job description writers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of job description writer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a job description writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced job description writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their job description writing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a job description writer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample job description writer job post titles:
- Recruiter and job description writer needed for executive recruiting service
- Looking for resume writer to help me with my job descriptions
- Human resources consultant who can help with writing job descriptions
An effective job description writer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing job requirements to evaluating job openings, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, job titles, or company size, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Job description writer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of job description writer job responsibilities:
- Consult with managers to determine staff requirements
- Write and post job descriptions based on operational needs
- Refine job descriptions on job seeker resumes
Job description writer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a job description writer. Here are some examples:
- Track record of writing attractive job descriptions
- Experience working in HR or recruiting office
- Ability to work with executives and managers to determine the proper staff requirements for a manufacturing operation