How to hire serverless development specialists
Serverless developers can help you eliminate the hassle of maintaining and provisioning physical server infrastructure by relying on the power of the cloud.
So how do you hire serverless developers? What follows are some tips for finding top serverless developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist serverless development professionals
As you’re browsing available serverless development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You may want a serverless developer who understands the BaaS (backend as a service) and FaaS (function as a service) solutions that are most compatible with your technology stack.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., leveraging serverless computing for a machine learning app).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular serverless developer.
How to write an effective serverless development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal serverless developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a consultant to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective serverless development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From decentralized deployments to DevOps-friendly backends, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain serverless vendors, technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to power your software applications with serverless architecture? Log in and post your serverless development job on Upwork today.
SERVERLESS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is serverless development?
Serverless development is the practice of developing software that leverages third-party BaaS or FaaS cloud infrastructure for back-end resources. Instead of paying for a fixed amount of bandwidth, serverless architectures are charged by providers only for the computational resources they consume.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in serverless development professionals:
- Serverless development
- Software development
- Cloud ecosystems such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Cloudflare
- BaaS/FaaS platforms (e.g., AWS Lambda, Cloudflare Workers)
Why hire serverless developers?
The trick to finding top serverless developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to use Google Cloud Functions for Firebase to set up a serverless backend for your mobile app? Or do you need someone experienced with solving complex orchestration problems in a Microsoft software ecosystem with Azure Functions?
The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a serverless developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced serverless developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A consultant who is still in the process of building a client base may price their serverless development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.